1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Gave birth! That was the big one, but there have been a whole slew of things that came along with bringing a little one into the world. Still, I don’t think anything tops Andrick’s birth day.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Looks like I didn’t make any resolutions last year. My personal resolution for this year is to be more patient with people, particularly my two boys.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Me! And a lot of my friends.We all turned 30 this year, so I guess it was a big one for babies.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My great aunt.
5. What countries did you visit?
Once again, I didn’t leave the country. I’m ok with that. Maybe one of these years, we’ll go all-out and travel to Canada.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More grace/patience. See #2.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 27: Andrick’s birth day (really, that whole week is etched upon my memory. I thought he would’ve been born any one of those days)
November 1: The day we got the key to our new house!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Breastfeeding. It is by far the hardest thing I have done in my life, but Andrick’s 8 months old now and has received all of his nourishment at my breast. Maybe I shouldn’t be, but I’m incredibly proud of that.
A close second, though, is achieving his natural, drug-free birth. While it didn’t exactly unfold the way I imagined it would (i.e. going through transition in the car on the way to the birth center), it did end up exactly the way I hoped and prayed it would.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Blogging? Ha I’m sure there are more serious ones, but I’m feeling like this year ended on a high and I want to keep it that way.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing more than the various injuries associated with giving birth. Yeow.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A chest freezer! I have wanted one forever.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I’m going to have to go with the same person I chose last year–my husband. Seeing him blossom into a father has been so beautiful, and I couldn’t be more proud of him.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Pretty much anyone and everyone in American politics.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Taxes, diapers, etc.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Meeting Andrick. He really was the highlight of 2012. Also introducing him to our extended families.
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2012?
Um…I guess I’m not really that into contemporary music these days.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier. I had no idea how having a baby would stretch my ability to love and feel joy.
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner! I’d better be. I was about 20 weeks pregnant at this time last year.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer. I left my job to stay home with Andrick. I wouldn’t change that for all the money in the world.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Same answer as last year–worrying.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
In Pennsylvania visiting with family and friends.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Yes! With the best little boy on the planet.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Will & Grace. I know it’s not exactly current, but we don’t watch tv so I don’t really keep up with what’s happening these days.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
Jules Verne’s Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
25. What did you want and get?
A healthy, happy, wonderful little son.
26. What did you want and not get?
I can think of a lot of silly things to list here, but honestly, having Andy and Andrick in my life makes it so full that nothing else really matters all that much. But, ok, if you are really pushing me to answer, I’ll say a minivan.
27. What was your favorite movie this year?
I didn’t see a single new movie that came out this year.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
30! My brother and sister came to visit. We laughed, ate a lot, and played board games. It was the perfect way to start a new decade.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Breastfeeding not being so difficult and painful.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Well, it was quite the evolution from maternity clothes to postpartum awkardness to getting back into most of my old stuff (and getting rid of anything that still doesn’t fit). So at this point, my personal fashion concept is comfortable and often covered in spit-up or drool. I love it.
31. What kept you sane?
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
James Taranto. Same as last year.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
All of them. I sort of enjoy following politics, but it also drives me nuts and I can’t follow it too closely without feeling hopeless.
34. Who did you miss?
Family. Friends. People who don’t live close to us (aka everyone).
35. Who was the best new person you met?
Andrick, naturally! His first act on this earth was to pee on me.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Trust in God’s plan. A lot of that came out with the way Andrick’s birth unfolded, and I continue to be amazed at how things just work out. And I continue to struggle to trust anyway.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
One song lyric to sum up an entire year? Uh…I got nothing.
Happy New Year!