I found this over at life of a doctor’s wife and thought it sounded fun!
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any resolutions last year–at least that I can remember. I did continue to focus on two from 2010, which were to save money every month and pack lunch during the week. I’d say we did better with the money saving than the lunch packing, although I at least pack Andy’s lunch most of the time so that has to count for something, right? I don’t think I have any new resolutions for 2012. Just keep swimming.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A couple of my stepsisters did, as did one of my best friends from high school. And a whole slew of facebook friends. There seems to be a serious baby boom going on.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, not that I can think of. Which makes me feel a tiny bit guilty if I am forgetting somebody. But then again, this applies only to people close to me. So no.
5. What countries did you visit?
I didn’t leave the country this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 4: date I started my new job
August 10: date of my last period (and the start of our baby count!)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Conceiving our baby!
Second, though, would be getting in shape and exercising regularly for the first time in my adult life. When we left Chicago and turned into typical suburbanites (i.e. driving everywhere), I started gaining weight. We joined a gym, started working with a trainer, and I got back down to a healthy weight. Even bigger than that were the inches I lost and strength I gained. I have never before in my life (except as a kid with organized exercise, like dance) disciplined myself to work out regularly.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I don’t consider this to be a huge failure, but I’ve been disappointed with the way some things have unfolded at work this year.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nope. Just pregnancy symptoms.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hmm. Nothing is coming right to mind. We bought a lot of stuff for our house, and I’m really happy with how it all turned out. In October, we bought baby’s first outfit, and that experience was a huge thrill.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband’s. He started the year in a new state, without a job. Since that time, he found a job, took on a second part-time job with my family’s company, motivated me to work out and get in shape together, and had endless patience for my hormonal, pregnant nonsense. The second job takes up a ton of his free time, and he works hard and doesn’t complain about it. He’s great.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Those are strong words, but a few people come to mind. I’ll take the non-confrontational route and move on to the next question.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Taxes, savings, etc. Does anyone have an interesting answer for this question?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Seeing those two little pink lines and knowing our lives had changed forever.
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2011?
Nothing really springs to mind.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Definitely happier. This time last year, my sister was in the hospital.
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter, but only in the belly.
c) richer or poorer? About the same I think. Maybe a little richer since we’d just spent a ton of money on moving, buying a car, furniture, etc.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Traveling. The year feels like it passed in a blur of working, trying to get in shape, and recovering financially from our move. I wish we’d spent more time exploring our new state.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying, which is pretty much a given every year I think.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
In Pennsylvania visiting with family and friends.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
I fall in love with my husband every single day.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
We actually don’t have a tv, so we don’t watch much. Every time I stay in a hotel, I binge on the Food Network. The one show we watched (online) was the Biggest Loser, which I continue to love.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
I used to be SUCH an avid reader, and have really gotten away from it. Which I don’t like! I think I spend a lot of time reading blogs instead of books. Maybe my resolution should be to read more books next year. Anyway, best book of the year would have to go to Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. My favorite thing about this book was the first half, which is a whole bunch of women telling their birth stories. I love love love birth stories.
25. What did you want and get?
A baby in my belly!
26. What did you want and not get?
I wanted to do more painting in the house, and just never got around to it. Oh well.
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
First of all, I really dislike the word film. It sounds so pretentious. Sorry friends, but it does. I should also say that I’m really not a big movie person in general. I can’t even name a new movie I saw this year that I hadn’t seen before (although I’m sure there were a few). And I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw a movie in the theater. The last one I can think of was the Simpsons movie. 2008 maybe?
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
29! I worked a half day, and then took myself out shopping. After work, Andy gave me a gorgeous watch and took me out for a yummy dinner at Parizade. I wore an adorable black dress.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I’m going to have to go back to more traveling. I do feel a little regretful about that.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Uh…same as every year of my life: classic.
31. What kept you sane?
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
James Taranto. If I could have dinner with any one person, I’d pick him.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
All of them. I sort of enjoy following politics, but it also drives me nuts and I can’t follow it too closely without feeling hopeless.
34. Who did you miss?
Family. Friends from Chicago.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
I guess all of the new people I met were work-related, so nothing particularly interesting there. I already know how I’ll answer this question next year!
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Trust in God and do what’s right. That wasn’t exactly a new lesson this year, but it’s one I’ve thought about a whole lot.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
One song lyric to sum up an entire year? Uh…I got nothing.
Happy New Year!