As new members at the gym we joined, we were offered a free appointment with a trainer. One of the things he asked us to do was fill out a list of 20 foods that we eat most frequently. I started writing mine down, and it was this pasta, that pasta , pasta pasta pasta. Fortunately for me, the trainer said as long as it was whole wheat pasta, it was ok. Phew! I’m sure he didn’t mean it’s ok to eat it every day though. I’ll have to work on that one.
He probably also didn’t mean that it’s ok to douse your whole wheat pasta in heavy cream. But in my defense, I made this dish long before I ever met Mr. (OMG are those real?) Muscles Trainer. And it has baby bella mushrooms, which are full of iron and vitamin b and good flavors. It’s another easy weeknight dinner that also makes for great leftovers in the next day’s lunch.
In fact, this may even get better as leftovers. That’s no easy feat. I think giving all the flavors a night to come together in the refrigerator just helps sometimes.
Creamy mushroom pasta
- 1 10 oz package baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 of a small white onion, chopped
- 3-4 servings whole wheat spaghetti
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 1 lemon, juiced
- freshly-ground pepper
- Boil water for pasta. When water is close to boiling, heat oil in a large skillet until it shimmers. When water boils, add onions to oil and cook, covered, until soft. Cook pasta.
- When onions are soft, add mushrooms and cook on low, covered.
- Add cooked pasta, heavy cream, a few grinds of pepper, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, until cream begins to thicken. Allow to rest for about 5-10 minutes before serving (to allow cream to thicken a bit more).